The Doll Dwelling
Where dolls (and their owners!) come to chat!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2014 1:47 PM  #1

First Time at Kings Dominion~6/3/14

Tuesday was my first ever visit to Kings Dominion! Yes, it would've been even more awesome if we'd arrived at opening instead of 1:30PM, but since it wasn't busy, that was ok. 

(DISCLAIMER: We got lost umpteen times even with a map. And then we'd end up riding something where we were lost. So we definitely didn't get around the park in a particularly organized fashion. )

We went to the season pass processing area first so I could redeem my voucher for my pass. No wait-they just snapped a picture and I signed the back of the card and it was done. Awesome! Then we got my mom and sis single-day tickets, which we also did not have to wait for. After that, we walked to the entrance. There was no 'fingerprint' machine like at BGW, but there was a metal detector you had to walk through one at a time, which BGW does not have. After grabbing a map, we headed inside the park.

Since it was so late, we figured it didn't matter much what we went to first. (We'd have lost any advantage by not riding Dominator first and going to Volcano, that sort of thing) I went on Berserker first, which was very cool. WALK-ON! I rode in the second-to-back row on one end. The restraints are sorta tight, but they're NOT uncomfortable. Besides, they'd better be tight, since you'll be dangling upside down, snowflake.  After Berserker, yes, I did ride Dominator next. One cycle wait for the front row. Kraken is the only other floorless I've been on-I think I like Kraken better. Dominator was pretty jerky and headbang-y compared to Kraken. Maybe it was becuase my pet tiger nearly ate me and the trains were running half-empty. I don't know. Anyways, I did like it, although I think Kraken is better. 

My sister wanted to ride the waveswinger (WHY??? There's one at BGW), so we did that next. It was fun, but it's the EXACT same ride as BGW's. Then I rode Shockwave. One cycle wait. It was my first standup. Well, my opinion is that it's just a plain goofy ride. The restraints are really odd; it kinda hiccups up the lift hill; after the loop and you go through the helix section you get banged around from one side to the other HARD; the dips at the end pull you up and slam you back down; and then you sit on the brake run for a while. Just a goofy, goofy ride. I did not think the ride 'hurt' or anything; it's just goofy.  I'd ride it again for sure! 
After Shockwave, my sis and I rode Bad Apple. My sis and I decided that it's a more intense Flying Machine-type ride. (yes we know it's not REALLY the same type of ride, but the spinning motion is similar) It was fun to look down every time our car tilted in that direction. 

After Bad Apple, we all rode the Ferris wheel, Americana. Nice views from the top-and we got a personal ride too! We were the only ones on the whole ride. 
Then my sister and I did Rebel Yell in the front row (one cycle wait). It was my first wooden coaster, and I really enjoyed it! It was less bumpy than I thought it'd be, lol. Sis liked it too-GOOD.
Since Ricochet was right nearby, my sis and I did that next. Walk-on! We both really liked it. They were running some cars empty, that's how not-busy it was.

As Hurler is across the path from Ricochet, my sis and I did that next. My thoughts on this one:
~Why is the path to the station so long??
and,
RATTLERATTLERATTLEshakeshakeAIRTIMESLAMDOWNrattlerattleSHAKESHAKE
That's what the whole entire ride is! From the second the train was off the lift hill till we were back in the station, it feels like the ride's going to shake to pieces. It vibrates and shakes violently the whole time. My sister's glasses fell off (mine didn't). Luckily she caught them! Anyways...I think Hurler is VERY rough, but it was honestly still fun. I don't think Hurler is awful at all, just REALLY REALLY bumpy.  I sure wouldn't want to marathon it though! We rode in the 2nd row. 

After Let's-Vibrate-To-Pieces: The Ride (I STILL LIKED IT THOUGH;)), my sis and I rode WindSeeker. Awesome views from the top, and pretty breezy way up there too. But...by the time we'd started to actually enjoy the view, it came back down. Oh well. Still very very cool!

When we got off WindSeeker, we noticed it had started drizzling a little bit. So we hightailed it over to Volcano (and got lost on the way) My sister didn't ride-she said she 'didn't feel like getting launched on a roller coaster right now'. I waited 3 trains for the front row. "Floating" out of the station toward the first launch is a nice touch in my opinion-it's like magma or something bubbling inside a volcano before it erupts. The first launch is fun, but Volcano's launch out of the volcano is great! After the launch out of the volcano, the three barrel rolls/heartline rolls (which is it? I've seen both names) are cool too. All three are taken at a pretty slow pace, so you actually feel yourself going upside down and hang on the restraints for a split second. And then after the three inversions, there's a good-sized 80-foot drop....right onto the brake run??? WHY? At the same time, it's a nice, "let's-end-with-a-bang" moment, so it's still cool. 

After Volcano, we headed over to Intimidator 305. Not unexpectedly, my sis promptly announced that she was not going to ride. She said it looked way bigger than she thought it would. To me, it looked about like I figured it would-a little bigger than Apollo's Chariot. Ok, about 100 feet bigger, depending on whether you count Apollo's Chariot's lift hill or its actual drop. ANYWAYS...on to the ride!!  I waited about 5 minutes the first time. I don't remember exactly which row I sat in, but it was towards the front. (Not the front row though, the line was about five times longer) Intimidator 305's restraints are really cool; they have soft straps instead of hard OTSR's. Nice and comfy. After all the restraints were checked, I heard part of the spiel (which ends '...and enjoy! your! ride!') and then a loud "GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES!!" And then the train hauls up that lift hill quickly, very quickly! By the time your mind registers you're wayyy up in the air, the train's already tipping over the top....and then it's hands up and screaming 90-whatever mph back down. Whoosh!! It's fast and very very cool. Then it's time for the first turn, which I did not black out on (um, I think I'm weird here snowflake). To me, the turn felt pretty intense, but no blacking out. Anyways...on to the first hill where there's airtime. Then I can't really describe the rest of it, except that all the 'snap' turns are awesome and are not rough; they just toss you from one side to the other VERY quickly...and that the ride's just way too short! You hit the brake run still traveling at a good speed, so I think there's enough 'oomph' there to add a couple elements. But whatever, the ride is still very very cool and very very intense. After I got off, my sis wanted to do Blue Ridge Tollway-my mom and sis went to do that while I rode I-305 again. Well, they took forever, so I rode Intimidator 4 more times total while they were gone.  When they got back, I wanted to do it one more time before we left, so I did. So 6 rides on I-305 altogether. I rode in the back the last time-still no blacking out. I just started to gray out ever so slightly for about 2 seconds. Whatever...  You really get yanked over the top of the first drop in the back row. And you get thrown about more on the snap turns. All very very intense and very very awesome.  But...Manta's still my favorite coaster, and I like Apollo's Chariot just as much as Intimidator 305. So I don't think I-305 is like 'EEKBESTCOASTEREVERR!!!'. But it IS my favorite thing I have been on so far at Kings Dominion. After I got off the last time, I bought an Intimidator 305 t-shirt at the gift shop, and then we headed out of the park. AWESOME DAY. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok, now for the inevitable Busch Gardens Williamsburg/Kings Dominion comparisons. 
To all the 'KINGS DOMINION IS WAY BETTER!!' and the 'BUSCH GARDENS WILLIAMSBURG IS WAY BETTER!!' fanboys/fangirls, you're all crazy. Both parks are great in my opinion. 
There are a couple things that I think each park does better than the other, but it's a tie overall for me; the parks are just different. In the end, I love both parks, so it doesn't matter which park gets which things better. 

Water fountains~This one goes to KD. Might be a weird thing to comment on, but I don't carry water around the park or buy drinks, so I like water fountains with COLD water. All of KD's water fountains had nice cold water, not warm water like most of BGW's. Yes, I know most of KD's are in the shade, and some of BGW's are in the sun, but hey, if it's warm it's warm and if it's cold it's cold. I hate drinking warm water, lol. 

Theming~This one goes to BGW. Um, Intimidator doesn't belong in the Congo/safari thing section, KD.  Although I-305 itself does have very nice theming, and so does Volcano. BGW's theming is pretty much the whole park.

Layout~This one goes to BGW. BGW's layout is pretty much a big circle with a peninsula thing sticking out. KD's layout is pretty mish-mosh and all over the place.

Coasters~Tie. Come on, they're ALL great!! Why do I have to pick?  

Waveswingers~Tie.

Swinging ships~This one goes to KD. Berserker goes all the way around. Battering Ram doesn't. Case closed.  

Drop towers~Didn't do KD's yet, so can't pick.

Parking lot arrangements~Tie. It's easier to go back to your car if you wanted to at KD since it's just one lot. But you'd have to walk forever if it's full. BGW's parking is nice with the trams and all, but it'd be a hassle to go back to your car in the middle of the day. (MY FAMILY NEVER DOES THIS BUT I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE DO)

Waterparks~Tie. BGW's Water Country USA might be bigger, but it's an exit up the road and it costs extra to get in. KD's WaterWorks is smaller, but it's attached to KD and doesn't cost more. (I actually didn't go inside Waterworks, but I'm pretty confident with that vote.)

So, yeah, those are my opinions. KD and BGW are both awesome parks! 

Last edited by Manta (6/10/2014 8:21 AM)

~Manta~

6/06/2014 2:11 PM  #2

Re: First Time at Kings Dominion~6/3/14

Nice TR, sis!! . Very detailed. I didn't know you gray-ed out on I-305!  (shocked)

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127273890@N04/
(It is completely dolls and Disney stuff. )

6/08/2014 7:05 PM  #3

Jan wrote:

Nice TR, sis!! . Very detailed. I didn't know you gray-ed out on I-305! (shocked)

Thx;)  Lol, it should be-it took long enough!!XDXD  Um, it wasn't a big deal...you know how the room spins and gets blurry when you stand up too fast??  Graying out on I-305 is JUST like that.;)  And it only happened in the back row, and even then, just barely.;)

~Manta~

6/09/2014 4:29 AM  #4

Manta wrote:

Jan wrote:

Nice TR, sis!! . Very detailed. I didn't know you gray-ed out on I-305! (shocked)

Thx;)  Lol, it should be-it took long enough!!XDXD  Um, it wasn't a big deal...you know how the room spins and gets blurry when you stand up too fast??  Graying out on I-305 is JUST like that.;)  And it only happened in the back row, and even then, just barely.;)

Lol, I thought that standing up too fast thing was something that only happened to me!XD (BTW I really liked the TR!!)

I'm a banana, I'm Nikki! I'm 17 years old, and live in England. I love almost anything to do with the arts, as well as musicals (especially Phantom of the Opera and My Fair Lady), climbing trees, Disney, and the '70s! I'm a little bit crazy sometimes.;)

6/10/2014 8:25 AM  #5

DodgersGirl wrote:

Manta wrote:

Jan wrote:

Lol, I thought that standing up too fast thing was something that only happened to me!XD (BTW I really liked the TR!!)

LolXD It feels really odd, don't you think? ;)  (Yay!!)

~Manta~

6/10/2014 12:17 PM  #6

Manta wrote:

DodgersGirl wrote:

Manta wrote:

XD Yeah, it does!;) ()

I'm a banana, I'm Nikki! I'm 17 years old, and live in England. I love almost anything to do with the arts, as well as musicals (especially Phantom of the Opera and My Fair Lady), climbing trees, Disney, and the '70s! I'm a little bit crazy sometimes.;)

6/20/2014 10:04 AM  #7

DodgersGirl wrote:

Manta wrote:

DodgersGirl wrote:

XD Yeah, it does!;) ()

It's like 'Whoa there what happened?!'  ...And it's kind of funny tooXD

~Manta~

Board footera